5.01.2007

Yeah, I'm a biker

So I've started riding my bike and today I rode it to work and back for the first time.

Good things about being a bike rider:

It makes me cool and environmentally friendly.

It's like walking, but better. You can still smell the pretty flower smells and admire the sunrise/sunset over the fields and enjoy the fresh air, but you actually get to where you're going in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not spending gas.

I'm helping to raise awareness in this fine city of Logan that not everyone is in a car, okay? Turns out that if you were in a wheelchair in this town and tried to get anywhere you'd be screwed. And stranded. And possibly dead. Sidewalks either don't exist or they just stop and then suddenly it's grass. Or manure. There are no bike lanes, and my sense of absolute self-importance will not let me ride in the gutter where the gravel and glass are. I will be on the road, albeit on the far right side, because that is where I have the right to be and those cars had just better deal with it.

Bad things about being a bike rider:

Gnats. Lots of gnats. Turns out there's a third good reason to wear sunglasses (#1 is because they're cool, #2 is because they make it so that I can see objects while outside). When I got to work this morning and changed into a skirt I noticed two gnats smeared into my sunscreen. And later I found one in my ear. That's hot, y'all.

7 comments:

blackjazz said... [reply]

I recommend you get some proper cycle glasses. They wrap round and are better at staying on your face. I wouldn't cycle without them.

You can even buy some which have several lenses for different conditions (such as tinted for when it's very sunny) but they're more expensive and I didn't think they were worth the price difference.

It's important not to get grit and insects in your eyes, so I think they're a good idea.

Julie said... [reply]

Ooooo...you should get those glasses that darken in the sunlight. They are so 1970's pedafile. Not that you're either of those things. But, c'mon. It'd be pretty cool.

Lindsay said... [reply]

Ew. Hate the gnats. Reading your experience with gnats brought back digusting but true memories of bike-riding along the Provo River Trail at dusk in summer -- really fast -- through hoards of gnats -- which of course I not-so-happily let die along my hairline and inside my bra and even in my mouth. So. Gross.

Jenny said... [reply]

Speaking of bike riding, I remeber when I swallowed a fly once while riding my bike (I'm a total mouth breather) and I almost crashed and got hit by a car. I think I ended up throwing it up. So sick. I hope you don't do that.

goddessdivine said... [reply]

You could get one of those bike helmets that motorcyclists use--you know, the ones that go over your entire head....thus eliminating the gnat in the face/hair issue. Then you'd look super cool.

Desmama said... [reply]

You looked great tonight when I saw you--no helmet hair at all. I was impressed. I wondered where your car was until I remembered . . . you are One Who Bikes.

Cicada said... [reply]

Hooray for protesting gas prices by riding a bike! Hooray for the environment!

Also, I support your decision to not bike in the gutter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...