12.03.2007

In which I become my mother

On Saturday I went to not one but TWO craft market show bazaar thingies.

I know.


But the first one was the Beehive Bazaar in Provo, which was all kinds of hipancool. I would have wandered in there for hours, but

1) they were crammed into a really really small space (I hope they can get a bigger room next time!)

and

2) Jenny and I had Savvy with us. Even though she was very good, we knew we had a only very brief window before she would give in to her heart's desire and start making out with a gingerbread castle.

There were so many funky and gorgeous things there. These prints by Sarah Jane Studios made my ovaries seize up.



So yeah, I definitely want to go back the next time they do one of these. The ladies in charge were great and seemed to deal just fine with the huge snowstorm that hit and the huge parade that blocked off all of Center street for a good chunk of the morning.

Then I drove home to L**** and made Spitfire come with me to Cache Valley's Winter Market (held inside, I was grateful to learn). This was when I felt the mantle of my mother descend upon me. Because here I was dragging resisting people through the snow to go look at crafts. It was a little scary, and made me wonder if I'm going to suddenly start making tiny quilts to hang on walls.

Spitfire did come along like the good sport that she is. But when we both turned up sick the next morning she blamed those MILES that we walked in the snow. The Winter Market was . . . not the same as the Beehive Bazaar. It was a completely different crowd, but it was fun. And they had a string quartet playing Christmas music, which I feel elevates any gathering. I didn't buy anything, but had fun admiring.

"Oh, so you make that yarn from your own goats, huh? Wow."

8 comments:

Carina said... [reply]

I should have listened to the voice of reason in my head and gone to the Beehive Bazaar on Saturday.

Nemesis said... [reply]

Shut up, I could have seen you there!

I weep.

Me again said... [reply]

They do have angora goats ya know.

they are so cute and have curly curly fur(hair?) all over them.

So making yarn from goats, not as strange as you might think. :)

Of course, there are people out there who make yarn from their dogs fur. So if it was that kind of thing, then, yeah. strange.

miranda said... [reply]

i love the winter market here in CV. i go and buy way more than i should. then i feel better because i'm supporting local artists, craftspeople and businesses.

Jenny said... [reply]

That was so fun. I'm glad we went. I really want that elephant print. Next year I think we should do our Christmas shopping there.

Nemesis said... [reply]

Me again, thanks for the comment! I have to start reading your blog now for the adventures you're having with your goats and cows.

Miranda, darn straight on the supporting local stuff. One of the booths that I would have LOVED to plonk down loads of money at was the one where they made all kinds of soaps and lotions from goats milk. It all smelled wonderful.

Jen, yes. Yes we should do our shopping there next year. Also I need to learn how to make those cute kid hats with the flowers. I bet I could do it.

Audra said... [reply]

My SIL make the flower hats. She made 3, one for me and one for Lettie & Jovie... this is pre-Callie.

I had a lady looking for a mother's helper in Provo once. She had angora llamas, I think. She showed me how to brush them and take care of them and then never called me back... weird woman.

Love craft shows! I love those prints too! I do have a little girl with little curls, but she has brown hair and the curls are all over the place!!!

Anonymous said... [reply]

Is this winter market thing a weekly/ongoing occurrence? You need to give me some details. Especially if they have live music.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...