6.09.2008

Stories that make librarians shed happy tears


This morning Jenny called to tell me what they'd been up to at her house. Apparently they were out of butter and Savvy wanted crepes for breakfast. Because she's white trash like that.

To Jenny's dismay, there was no butter in the fridge. So the crepe idea was out. But I guess they read Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie dePaola recently, with the little grandmother who goes out and milks the cow to get the cream to make the butter, etc. Savvy remembered the story and said, "Mom, we can just make the butter out of cream! Like in the story!"

Aaaaand this is the part where I called my lawyer and directed her to make Savannah Mae the direct beneficiary of my impressive, impressive investment portfolio and sand-jar collection.

So they made themselves some butter, using a food processor instead of a churn. Or jar. Or boot. And then they ate their crepes while practicing their French pronunciation and holding their pinkies in the air. I asked Jenny if during the two minutes it took to make that butter she was standing there thinking, "Suck it, pioneers!"

She totally was.

12 comments:

lilcis said... [reply]

Wow, I am so impressed! I never would have thought to do that. I wouldn't have believed it would work! Savvy is brilliant.

j said... [reply]

What kind of crazy world do we live in where a person can make their own butter from cream in two minutes? The apocalypse can't be far behind. Someone needs to go down to Wheeler Farm and do that while some else churns butter.

FoxyJ said... [reply]

I guess that's why it's good to have cream on hand.

We've been reading In the Night Kitchen and S-Boogie is fascinated by the idea of "cake in the morning", so I think we'll be making coffee cake sometime later this week (or "morning cake" as we like to call it). Also, it must be proof of my laziness as a parent that my kids don't realize you can eat pancakes or crepes for breakfast. We only ever have them for dinner.

Science Teacher Mommy said... [reply]

I'm mostly impressed that she keeps cream in the house instead of butter. I think tomorrow will have to be a crepe day.

And Foxy, I made a really yummy sour cream breakfast cake this week. Instead of the brown sugary filling and topping it called for, I subbed the vanilla for a couple of tablespoons of lime juice and zest. I glazed it with a mix of powdered sugar, lime juice and cream cheese. It was a hit.

Science Teacher Mommy said... [reply]

And PS, Good on you FoxyJ for introducing your kids to banned books really early. :)

FoxyJ said... [reply]

STM--

My kids were the ones who picked out the book, and neither of them has even pointed out the nudity. I think it's kind of a strange book--why does he have to fall out of his clothes?

That sounds like a yummy cake idea!

Nemesis said... [reply]

Wait . . . I think I've seen some sort of Czech-Republic-produced cartoon version of that book! Jen? Desmama? Back me up, here!

Jenny said... [reply]

foxy, I have this raspberry cream cheese coffee cake recipe that is so so yummy if you ever want it.

Nem, I haven't seen the movie. But now I have that stupid 'I don't care Pierre' song stuck in my head from the cartoon of 'where the wild things are'. Thanks for that.

Desmama said... [reply]

Yup, I'm here. In The Night Kitchen. We rented a movie with it on it a while ago and Nem, remember I pointed out the nudity and thought it was kind of weird, too? It doesn't make sense but whatever. The kids didn't notice. I think.

Beeswax said... [reply]

Okay, I think I need to come back and visit you again, because you have labeled both book lust and anglophilia 23 times.

Which is awesome.

Science Teacher Mommy said... [reply]

When I read the book (because I love Where the Wild Things are, as do my boys), I was more indifferent than weirded out, because the book just didn't catch my attention the way Wild Things does. And, while bums are cute, other things are just NOT.

A few years ago in TNY, however, I read a biographical sketch of the author and the weirdness made a little more sense. He is just kind of a strange duck. Oh, and he doesn't really like children. He seems more interested in, I don't know, aberrant and defiant behavior. I guess he decided that children were the best vehicle for stories about such.

Anonymous said... [reply]

Jen, I was hoping you would mention who gave Savvy that adorable book, but I guess you forgot :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...