10.05.2012

May I submit that there are better ways to make guacamole



I had such a wonderful time at the Shakespeare festival. It was relaxing and rejuvenating and fun and also there was a trip to Target. All-around win.

And then I came home and the Tiny Dark Lord decided to get a stomach bug to teach me a lesson about why I don't leave him. Then he was better for a couple of days, but around midnight last night (this morning?) I heard the tell-tale sounds of "I just threw up" and dragged myself out of bed so I could go change pajamas and scrape avocado chunks off the crib sheet and start the laundry. Again, some more.

The poor Tiny Dark Lord slept through the rest of the night (yay, blessings on our heads!), but this morning when I opened his bedroom door to get him up I was greeted by a wall of stench so strong that it slapped me backwards and I fell down the stairs and died. But then I had to get up anyway because if I stayed dead then I would miss the shared experience of both of us being up to our armpits in crusty, liquefied excreta.

Here's hoping that your Friday does not include the kind of poop you have to touch with your hands, is my prayer, etc. . . .

Update: Just chatted with a nurse at the pediatrician's office. She says this is just going around, and that the throwing up/not throwing up could last about a week, and the business at the other end could last up to two. And on the days he's not throwing up I should feed him fatty starches like mac and cheese, french fries, and grilled cheese sandwiches. So at least I get some home-made mac and cheese out of the deal! Do we go skinny or full-on Pioneer Woman, huh? Mayhaps an only slightly overweight fusion of the two . . .

5 comments:

FoxyJ said... [reply]

Night vomit is my parenting kryptonite. I hate, hate, hate it. I pray that if my kids get a stomach bug it will be at their dad's house. Yes, I'm mean like that.

I have a toddler who seems to have sensitive intestines and also loves fruit (bad combo) so we often deal with foul diaper issues here. One thing that I've found that really helps are probiotics. I've tried yogurt too, but the probiotics really are fabulous. I just found a container of probiotic powder at my local health-type store and it just takes one little dose a day. Her diapers are usually much happier within a few days. Good luck.

Kristi said... [reply]

Motherhood is so glamorous, no? Acidophilus powder is my best friend when my kiddos have diarrhea. Dose two-three times a day in some yogurt or applesauce until you start getting thickening results, then scale back.

Kelly said... [reply]

I'm not even a big homemade mac and cheese fan, but the Pioneer Woman's photographs make it look aMAzing!

Everyone's poop/vomit stories make me think, huh, maybe it's ok that we don't have a baby yet...

Desmama said... [reply]

Oh, so sorry! I've woken up more than once to kids throwing up and I guess I have to admit that the stench does make me wake up enough to get things cleaned up. So not fun for anyone, though. :(

elliespen said... [reply]

Pioneer Woman mac and cheese. I love that stuff so much that it still sounds totally appetizing even after the vomit and poop stories. Hope things get back to normal very soon for you folks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...