12.29.2006

I don't wanna be right

I kind of love the smell of cigarette smoke. But it's only one specific kind. I do NOT love cigarette smoke when it

is being expelled near me
gets into upholstery and ruins it forever
is on someone's breath
is anywhere near children, and I think that people who smoke in kids' breathing space should be slapped around and then forced to breath gasoline fumes until they kill off their three remaining brain cells--but that's neither here nor there

The kind of cigarette smoke that I like is the faint suggestion kind. When I was little I associated it with carnivals, which were pretty much my favorite. That was back when I could ride scary rides and be upside down without prayiing for death.

Now it makes me think of London and Paris and Rome and big European cities in the summertime. One whiff and I'm there, all happy. The other day I was at the Gateway Mall and it happened. Wonderful, wonderful.

My sister Jenny thinks I'm beyond insane, but I know I'm not. Amyjane gets it. Right after we got back from Rome in 2002 she stepped into an ATM vestibule where someone had been smoking. She stayed in there, breathing deeply with her eyes closed. That's what I'm talking about.

10 comments:

AmyJane said... [reply]

Sheesh. I feel so....outed. It's funny you should mention this since I just returned to my apartment where the cigarette smell has returned in full force and definately NOT in that pleasant way. Thanks again for the hospitality the other night! We love ya!

Jenny said... [reply]

BLECH. Just thinking about this topic of conversation makes me want to go scrap my lungs out with one of those plaque things the dentists use. Then I would go wipe all the residue on your pillow so you could breathe it in all night long as you slept. We would both win.

stupidramblings said... [reply]

I totally see what you mean there, nem. I have the same feeling about skunks. Skunks smell bad. BUT! If you catch the hint of a whiff of skunk musk (I feel dirty just saying it) from a roadkill skunk in the next county, it smells kinkda...well...not bad. It reminds me of sleeping on the trampoline under the stars at my grandpa's farm.

goddessdivine said... [reply]

Can't help you with that one....I can't stand any kind of cigarette smoke. Now gasoline on the other hand......

TOWR said... [reply]

I am SO WITH YOU on this one! I smell a hint of cigarette smoke and I'm back on the streets of Paris. Yep, cigarette smoke does it for me. Cold exhaust fumes, too.

Desmama said... [reply]

You know, I feel that way too! A slight whiff and it reminds me of airports, and airports for me always mean going exciting places. The scent of coffee does the same--makes me think of big cities and traveling. So, you're not crazy. But I don't think I'd want much more than a whiff.

FoxyJ said... [reply]

Cigarette smoke totally reminds me of Madrid. One of the apartments I lived in as a missionary was on the second floor of the building, right above two bars on the first level (In Spain there are at least 3 bars on every block). It was summertime, so we always had our windows open since Europe has yet to discover air conditioning. We got to smell cigar smoke and listen to old men discuss bullfights until the wee hours of the morning. (We also got to listen to all the concerts in the bullring across the street for free. Ricky Martin, anyone?) Ah, memories...

Snow Whiteley said... [reply]

I can't agree with the cigarette smell thing, but that could just be because I'm fighting a battle with a cigarette smell in my apartment. Blah!

I can, however, agree with Stupid about skunk smell. I have to admit that there is a part of me that actually likes that first whiff of the aroma of scared skunk. Who knew?

BowlerGirl said... [reply]

I too love, love, love, a waft of cigrette smoke. I'm originally from Las Vegas and it reminds me of walking down the Strip during the hot summer nights with my friend.

Nemesis said... [reply]

Stupid and Divine Miss, I love the skunk smell too. It reminds me of driving around at night in CA when I used to live there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...