2.26.2007

One who bakes

I baked over the weekend. I've decided that this is something I need to do more of until I stop being so intimidated by it. I'm fine with doing things like brownies from a box, but the actual process of bread-baking seems like this mysterious form of alchemy to me. I'm used to just being able to dump the ingredients together and end up with what I want. This whole process of yeast and rising and starters and sweating and whatever else is just this whole new scary world in which I might accidentally burn down my house.

To get the ball rolling I started with banana bread. It doesn't have to rise or anything, but it does require a loaf pan so that's a step in the right direction. It was good that I did this at my sister's because:

1) She could keep an eye on me
2) She for sure had all the ingredients
3) If the whole thing tanked then I knew there would still be other good foods to eat


To my happy surprise the whole thing did not tank and I ended up with a very pretty & very tasty loaf of banana bread. Even Baby "Hunger Strike" Ethan went for it. This is an encouraging beginning, I feel. I shall be quoting Mrs Elton before too long ("I do not profess to be a gourmet, I only know that my friends think so.")

11 comments:

Suzie1 said... [reply]

That looks tasty! Banana bread is a good safe start and it yeilds such delicious results. ;) Now if I could just dare to bake bread out of a breadmaker, I'd be set.

The McCulloch Family said... [reply]

I loved the banana bread! I think you should expand your culinary skills and make those salmon things for us this weekend.

Suzie1 how you get bread in a breadmaker to turn out? I finally gave my breadmaker to DI and started doing it in loaf pans because the breadmachine never worked for me.

Lindsay said... [reply]

Yum! I baked this weekend too...banana nut muffins and soft pretzels. Both turned out decently well...but I don't think I'll open my own bakery anytime soon.

Azúcar said... [reply]

You must must must try this amazing bread recipe. It's a no-knead dough that comes out looking, and tasting, like a bakery loaf. It is SO EASY (worth yelling about.)

If you decide to try it, under Step 3, I just mixed the risen dough with my hand in the same bowl without taking it out (folding it over itself a couple times.) Then I let it rise for the other 2 hours. It's practically foolproof, I promise!

daltongirl said... [reply]

I have always said that you are a gourmet. Just not the kind of gourmet that cooks. You are the kind of gourmet that appreciates good food. And pretends to appreciate mediocre food when your friends cook. And now I find that you are a cooking gourmet as well. Happy, happy day!

Desmama said... [reply]

That really looks good. Makes me hungry!

CoolMom said... [reply]

Now you can move on to things like pumpkin bread (coolboy's fav) and the choc. zucchini cake works well in loaf pans. My wheat bread recipe is the best ever, and one of the easiest. The one from Susie C.

Costco used to sell a Krusteaz box with 6 bread mixes in it for the bread machine, but I haven't seen it lately. They were very good. If it's not turning out, it's probably not you, it's your machine.

Nemesis said... [reply]

Mom, you know I don't have a bread machine, right? I do love me some pumpkin bread and zucchini cake, though.

Jimmy said... [reply]

So glad that worked out. My one and only attempt at breadmaking resulted in a homemade doorstop that's still hard as rock 8 years later.

I'm happy your results were better.

Miss Hass said... [reply]

tasty!

Kristeee said... [reply]

Mmm, banana bread - it looks perfect!

And CoolMom, does that mean that you also have a recipe for amazing pumpkin bread? I've been on the prowl for one . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...