2.26.2007

One who bakes

I baked over the weekend. I've decided that this is something I need to do more of until I stop being so intimidated by it. I'm fine with doing things like brownies from a box, but the actual process of bread-baking seems like this mysterious form of alchemy to me. I'm used to just being able to dump the ingredients together and end up with what I want. This whole process of yeast and rising and starters and sweating and whatever else is just this whole new scary world in which I might accidentally burn down my house.

To get the ball rolling I started with banana bread. It doesn't have to rise or anything, but it does require a loaf pan so that's a step in the right direction. It was good that I did this at my sister's because:

1) She could keep an eye on me
2) She for sure had all the ingredients
3) If the whole thing tanked then I knew there would still be other good foods to eat


To my happy surprise the whole thing did not tank and I ended up with a very pretty & very tasty loaf of banana bread. Even Baby "Hunger Strike" Ethan went for it. This is an encouraging beginning, I feel. I shall be quoting Mrs Elton before too long ("I do not profess to be a gourmet, I only know that my friends think so.")

10 comments:

Suzie1 said... [reply]

That looks tasty! Banana bread is a good safe start and it yeilds such delicious results. ;) Now if I could just dare to bake bread out of a breadmaker, I'd be set.

Jenny said... [reply]

I loved the banana bread! I think you should expand your culinary skills and make those salmon things for us this weekend.

Suzie1 how you get bread in a breadmaker to turn out? I finally gave my breadmaker to DI and started doing it in loaf pans because the breadmachine never worked for me.

Lindsay said... [reply]

Yum! I baked this weekend too...banana nut muffins and soft pretzels. Both turned out decently well...but I don't think I'll open my own bakery anytime soon.

Carina said... [reply]

You must must must try this amazing bread recipe. It's a no-knead dough that comes out looking, and tasting, like a bakery loaf. It is SO EASY (worth yelling about.)

If you decide to try it, under Step 3, I just mixed the risen dough with my hand in the same bowl without taking it out (folding it over itself a couple times.) Then I let it rise for the other 2 hours. It's practically foolproof, I promise!

daltongirl said... [reply]

I have always said that you are a gourmet. Just not the kind of gourmet that cooks. You are the kind of gourmet that appreciates good food. And pretends to appreciate mediocre food when your friends cook. And now I find that you are a cooking gourmet as well. Happy, happy day!

Desmama said... [reply]

That really looks good. Makes me hungry!

Nemesis said... [reply]

Mom, you know I don't have a bread machine, right? I do love me some pumpkin bread and zucchini cake, though.

Lippy said... [reply]

So glad that worked out. My one and only attempt at breadmaking resulted in a homemade doorstop that's still hard as rock 8 years later.

I'm happy your results were better.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said... [reply]

tasty!

Kristeee said... [reply]

Mmm, banana bread - it looks perfect!

And CoolMom, does that mean that you also have a recipe for amazing pumpkin bread? I've been on the prowl for one . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...