Want to know what makes a move extra awesome? Having your baby come down with hand, foot, and mouth disease right in the middle of it. The poor kid is miserable and looks downright leprous. I can't even take him to Wal-Mart to get all the "moved into a new place and now need stuff" stuff because of the stares and judgment I would probably get (at WAL-MART, mind you).
The related blessings I'm keeping in mind, though, are many. Here are just a few.
1. The two little cousins we'd been living with were out of town when he contracted it, so they didn't get sick.
2. I had to keep bailing on an afternoon at Desmama's last week, so her kids didn't get it either.
3. He was acting sick and miserable and whiny on Saturday during the move, but it wasn't until our first night in the new house that he really fell apart. I bless him for saving his sickest, saddest day for Sunday when I could just go ahead and spend all day picking him up and putting him down every 3 seconds, over and over again.
4. He was clearly sick on Sunday, so we didn't take him to his first week of nursery in our new ward. Can you imagine a better way to make new friends? "Hi there, everyone! We brought a little something to share--enjoy!"
5. It's hand, foot, and mouth disease. It's not chicken pox, measles, scarlet fever, whooping cough, smallpox, or tapeworms. We are lucky.
6. He slept through the night last night and we all woke up happier this morning.
7. My angel sister Jenny is making my Wal-Mart run for me. (Note: she actually just called me from the Wal-Mart, where she is shopping for me while her two-year-old child beats whacks her with the curtain rod I asked for. That is called love. She is like Elinor to my Marianne. Or something.)
8. My first delivery from Rosehill Dairy arrived this morning. Remember how I used to have Rosehill Dairy in my life? Now we get to be back together. All I had to do was give up Costco. And Target.
9. The Baby Einstein "Baby McDonald" DVD we snagged from GH's parents' house has a "Repeat Play" option. I could lick that DVD right now. Cross fingers that all the exposure is getting the Dark Lord on my side about chickens.
10. Now that we are in our house, there is more than 100% more room in which to be sick and cranky.