1.25.2007

Did you hear that I'm an athlete now?

I went running yesterday. I have to run on a treadmill because I can't keep an even pace. My body uses this as an excuse to shut down completely so that I end up in a heap on the side of the road somewhere with the cars splashing mud onto my unconscious form. So yes. It's the treadmill for me.

Turns out that having an MP3 player back in my life makes all the difference in the world. I'm not cool enough to have an I-Pod. It's this Rio player that I bought a couple of years ago. Some of my ghetto booty dance songs make me smile AND speed up. That, friends, is something.

Time ran: 34 minutes
Calories burned: 280
Facial color: dark purple
Time elapsed before face returned to normal: 3 hours
Time elapsed since last intentional running session: 20 months

We're doing this accountability email circle where me, Jenny, Spitfire, & Mom email each other with what we're doing.

Mom's report includes other bits of information, like what time she went to bed and how much snow they just got and what she ate for breakfast and what the dog's up to. But she's a pretty faithful exerciser.

Jenny's read like this: "Did 5 days of cardio for 45 minutes each day and lifted 3 of those days and went to 3 pilates classes and taught one of them."

Mine reads like this: "Slept in. Went to yoga after work. Don't judge me."

Spitfire's reads like this: "Walked several flights of stairs in high heels while holding heavy office papers. Does that count?"

10 comments:

Sarita said... [reply]

I was just hinking about doing something similar with my sister....to make me accountable. I've done two days of pilates so far and my abs are on fire I tell you.

And not that I know anything about,well, anything, but climbing several flights of stairs in high heels used to be my excercise regime. Too bad I no longer work in a 25+ story building.

Th. said... [reply]

.

Sure you'll live longer, but you won't have any knees!

Desmama said... [reply]

See, I've thought about working out, but with the inversion and all, the health benefits are dubious--my heart might be healthier, my cholesterol might get lower, but my lungs would blacken and I'd end up with a hot bod but lugging around an oxygen tank with me. So I'm waiting for this silly weather to clear out. Yeah, that's why I can't work out. ;)

Kristeee said... [reply]

Good job! I got an exercise bike for Christmas and put it in front of my tv. That way I don't notice as much how much time it's taken. I'm building up now, but will get to biking for half of every show I watch. It's a lazy start, but hey, it's a start :)

Anonymous said... [reply]

You know what's awesome? Books on CD. I check them out from the library, rip the mp3's, add them to my player, and then BINGO! Instant workout motivation! I once hiked for over three hours because I was so into the book I was listening to.

Just a suggestion for the exercise challenged (like me!).

Nemesis said... [reply]

Ooooh, anon. That's a really great idea!

goddessdivine said... [reply]

Go you for exercising. I try to do the treadmill once a week, and Pilates twice a week. Sometimes it's so hard to work it in your schedule!!

Also, I bet I would like your 'ghetto booty dance songs'. (Night at the Roxbury.....?)

stupidramblings said... [reply]

**Sneezed and thought of watching the Superbowl.**

Lady Steed said... [reply]

Someday I will own an elliptical machine, and that will be the day I start working out.

chosha said... [reply]

Ah, the glorious treadmill. I just bought one on the weekend. No weather to deal with and you don't have to somehow magically calculate when you are halfway to collapsing so you can turn around and head for home.

I've been cutting down on the amount of TV I watch, but now I'll feel less guilty about watching as I can be on the treadmill at the same time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...