1.17.2008

Reminding me why I don't live in Alaska

For the last day or so we've been doing that fun thing called "freezing to death on account of it's zero degrees outside."

Now, snow I don't mind. I like snow. I don't like driving in snow, but I like the principle of snow, and the way it makes everything look white and beautiful and soft. I like the way it makes sure that in the spring our reservoirs are full. I can even be happy for the people who choose to engage in foolish and/or suicidal endeavors like snowboarding. Those people are thrilled by the snow and hey, as long as they don't try to drag me off the side of a cliff then power to 'em.

The cold? The cold I mind so very much. It's not even right. The inside of my nose was not meant to freeze like this. Nor were my pinkies meant to turn white, then black, and then fall off. Not that they've done that yet but I'm sure it's not far off.

Have I mentioned that I'm going to Hawaii? Because I am. Let's hope I have some toes left by the time I get there.

4 comments:

MadMadameMim said... [reply]

I just have to lend my support to your struggle with the cold. I moved to a very very cold place from a very warm place last year. Most inteligently we moved in January. It was -10 degrees for at least two weeks. SWEET!!!!! We are now well into the jors of cold january once again and I am reminded of the dread I felt at first finding myself in this Iceland last year. I too felt I had moved to Alaska. You have my sympathies.

Courtney said... [reply]

You reminded me of that song from Camelot--perhaps you could move there.

It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
The climate must be perfect all the year.

A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
....
The snow may never slush upon the hillside.
....
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.

Though, maybe 3 months of winter are still a bit too long.

emandtrev said... [reply]

I feel your pain. I used to think that it was living in Houston for a time that turned me into a wimp. Maybe that will always be some of it, but then I decided that no, it is just WAY too cold. Bring on the warmer weather! And I'm totally jealous about Hawaii, btw...

Nemesis said... [reply]

Madmadamemim, I love your name. And thank you for your support! Freezing is so not the way to go, I feel.

Yeah, Yankee Girl. Camelot had it right on the weather. I mean, they had lots of other problems . . .

Emandtrevfam, thank you. People always give me grief: "You're COLD? But aren't you from Alaska?" Only I say cold is cold. And it's wrong and unholy no matter where it is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...