11.16.2012

Well, that's . . . one way to wake up in the morning

source

Lately I've had a lot of deer in my yard. And because I've read the excellent The Beast in the Garden, I am constantly on the look-out for the cougars which are sure to one day follow them into town, move on from deer to pets, and then start eyeing me and thinking about hollowing out my chest cavity. Because that's what happens. I feel pretty confident though that, unlike the good people of Boulder, the people of North Logan are less likely to accept cougar as new neighbors. Even college athletics is stacked against the cougars, given the (one-sided) antipathy that Aggies harbor towards BYU. So you're just really not welcome, cougs. That's all I'm saying. 

When I got the Tiny Dark Lord up from his nap yesterday, I saw a group of deer out in the garden so we stepped outside to check them out. There was a buck, a few does, and two precious little (big) babies. They were very majestic and stuff, and TDL was enthralled. I love, love, love that within my neighborhood I can introduce TDL to ducks, deer, horses, goats, sheep, cows, and precious tiny ponies. (Note to cougars: I do not want to meet you. Seriously.) One time GH took the baby for a walk and they almost got introduced to a skunk, which was not part of his plan. In our previous digs, the only wildlife available to show our son were the two mean dogs that kept getting out of their yard and whatever was growing on whatever biological puddle our next-door neighbor left on the landing. So yeah, I'd call this an improvement.

This morning, though, I woke up and when I came downstairs the first thing I saw out my living room window was a dead deer in the front yard. I needed to reassure myself that this was not, in fact, a cougar-related incident (the deer seemed to still be whole). People drive pretty fast on my street, so I'm sure there was an accident sometime in the night. I called dispatch and they sent someone over to take it away. 

Except now I wonder if I should have asked around to see if anybody wanted the deer. I bet there are uncles of GH's who would have come and taken it and put the meat in one of their many, many freezers. I don't know what the rules are about that--is there some kind of "finders keepers" rule when it comes to roadkill, or is that not allowed because they don't want people intentionally running the poor things down with their minivans? Anybody know the answer?


5 comments:

Liz Johnson said... [reply]

I had family in Alaska who signed up to be on a road kill list, and about once a month they'd get a call and have two hours to pick up the carcass and do whatever they wanted with it. They ate a lot of moose jerky.

abby said... [reply]

Would you really want to eat a dead deer that's been dead outside all night? It could have disease or something.

My home town was filled with deer and they ended up having a deer hunting season. The problem is that I grew up in suburban NJ and you couldn't shoot a gun without hitting someone's house or dog or something.

Maggie said... [reply]

Here in Minnesota is is against the law to take road kill, but I have no idea about Utah.

emandtrev said... [reply]

Trev said it is in fact against the law to take roadkill here in Utah as well.

You have the same feelings I do about cougars (of the non-BYU variety). I have read too many stories about them being serious predators to want to ever see one kicking around my yard. Super majestic and amazing, but I'll take my cougar viewings on TV or at the zoo. :)

Mrs. Clark said... [reply]

You really do not want to eat roadkill. My dad says there's some kind of gland you need to cut out immediately when you shoot a deer, because it releases something into the meat if you don't and it ruins the taste. And you also don't know if it was killed by a car or dropped dead in your yard from some disease.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...